Upper Yarra Secondary College strives to provide an engaging and challenging science curriculum for all our students. Science is compulsory from year 7 to 10. Our year 10 students have the option of selecting additional science electives: Zoology and/or Forensic Science. At the senior levels we offer VCE Chemistry, Physics, Psychology and Biology.
Students have opportunities to engage in extracurricular Science activities by taking part in the range of excursions offered (GTAC, Healesville Sanctuary, Melbourne Aquarium, Lunar park, CSIRO etc), the Big Science Competition and our annual Science Week activities.
The Science department is also home to some reptiles. Our carpet pythons Monty and Samara as well as bearded dragons, are looked after by a dedicated group of students who form the Reptile Club lead by Melissa Jones.
- Introduction to science
- Separating Mixtures
- States of matter (incl water cycle)
- Light and sound
- Astronomy: Planets (incl seasons and Moon)
- Elements, compounds and mixtures
- Electricity-simple circuits
- Digestive system and nutrients
- Rock cycle
- Physical and chemical change
- Simple machines
- Circulatory system
- Food chains
- Nervous and Endocrine systems
- Plate tectonics
- Chemical reactions
- Chemistry: Atomic structure and bonding
- Biology: Genetics
- Physics: Newton’s Laws