Bring Your Own Device
Providing students with the opportunity to be effective digital learners who are confident, creative and productive in a digital world.
Moving into 2017 Upper Yarra Secondary College is looking to continue our 1:1 Program for year 7 students. We believe that giving students immediate access to technology in a 1:1 program will help engage them in the learning process in new and creative ways and become increasingly skilled at using technology to access and present information, to problem solve and work collaboratively. Students will use their devices in class and at home to support their learning.
New year 7 students will be expected to purchase a device. Families will have a number of choices as to the device, accessories, duration of insurance, and payment method.
The UYSC network is capable of supporting any modern device. If there is a device you already own or are comfortable with, that is more important than the school specifying a device. At school, the students will use a range of devices including Chromebooks, iPads and Windows-based notebooks and desktops. Upper Yarra Secondary College is moving towards integrating Chromebooks into the curriculum.
When choosing a device, important things to consider are:
- User friendly: Simple to use.
- Speed: Fast enough that you aren’t waiting around for things to happen.
- Robustness: Kids will be kids. The tougher the device, the better.
- Battery Life: It needs to last all day. It is not viable to have students charging a device at school.
- Security: Chromebooks, iPads and Macs are generally more virus-resistant.
- Insurance: Accidental damage insurance is something we strongly recommend you consider.
Purchase a Chromebook (Password UPPERYSC2018)